LULA elevators are a great solution when an accessibility lift isn’t enough, but a passenger elevator is more than you need. As the title indicates LULA stands for Limited Use / Limited Application. By the very nature of the name it is obvious that this product does have its limitations. While LULA elevators function in a similar manner to passenger elevators (automatic operation and sliding elevator doors) the following restrictions apply:
A LULA elevator can have maximum car size of 18 square feet. This restriction makes it impossible to accommodate a stretcher, and therefore if this is a code requirement, a LULA is not a suitable option.
Your LULA elevator will operate at 30 feet/minute
In Alberta a LULA’s can travel up to 7.6 meters if there is stretcher access already in the building. If not we are limited to 7 meters of travel. This typically limits a LULA elevator to 3 floors in a low rise building. If the device travels more than 7 meters it will be required to have fire service, just like a passenger elevator
LULA’s typically have a maximum capacity of 1400lbs
Benefits of a LULA include:
- Less construction cost for the hoist-way (smaller pit, less load on the supporting wall etc.)
- Smaller footprint (even less space required if you choose a MRL unit)
- Lower cost for the equipment compared to a passenger elevator
- Lower cost for maintenance compared to passenger elevators
- Automatic operation and sliding elevator doors (functions and looks like a passenger elevator)
We often refer to a LULA as a hybrid between a commercial accessibility lift and a passenger elevator; therefore it is a perfect solution for wheelchair access in low rise public buildings where the use is limited.
For more information on LULA elevators, contact us or download our LULA Brochure
Uppercut Elevators and Lifts is proud to offer Made in Alberta solutions