LULA elevators are a great solution when an accessibility lift isn’t enough, but a passenger elevator is more than you need. As the title indicates LULA stands for Limited Use / Limited Application. By the very nature of the name it is obvious that this product does have its limitations. While LULA elevators function in a similar manner to passenger elevators (automatic operation and sliding elevator doors) the following restrictions apply:
A LULA elevator can have maximum car size of 18 square feet. This restriction makes it impossible to accommodate a stretcher, and therefore if this is a code requirement, a LULA is not a suitable option.
Your LULA elevator will operate at 30 feet/minute
In Alberta a LULA’s can travel up to 7.6 meters if there is stretcher access already in the building. If not we are limited to 7 meters of travel. This typically limits a LULA elevator to 3 floors in a low rise building. If the device travels more than 7 meters it will be required to have fire service, just like a passenger elevator
LULA’s typically have a maximum capacity of 1400lbs
Benefits of a LULA include:
- Less construction cost for the hoist-way (smaller pit, less load on the supporting wall etc.)
- Smaller footprint (even less space required if you choose a MRL unit)
- Lower cost for the equipment compared to a passenger elevator
- Lower cost for maintenance compared to passenger elevators
- Automatic operation and sliding elevator doors (functions and looks like a passenger elevator)
We often refer to a LULA as a hybrid between a commercial accessibility lift and a passenger elevator; therefore it is a perfect solution for wheelchair access in low rise public buildings where the use is limited.
Uppercut Elevators and Lifts is proud to offer Made in Alberta solutions